In 1993 the Uist Arts Association (UAA) and the Comann Eachdraidh Uibhist a Tuath (CEUT – North Uist Historical Society) collaborated to create the Taigh Chearsabhagh Trust. Since then, Taigh Chearsabhagh has played an important part in promoting the heritage of the Western Isles, as well as contributing meaningfully to the sustainability of our island’s community.
Taigh Chearsabhagh was built in 1741 by a merchant, Neil MacLean, and was first used as a travellers’ inn. It was one of the first buildings in North Uist to have a slated roof and is the oldest in the village. In 1802, Lochmaddy’s post office was sited in Taigh Chearsabhagh, an essential and greatly valued facility for the local community we still provide today.
In the early 1900’s Taigh Chearsabhagh became a private dwelling before being converted into a workshop for the North Uist Estate. When work started in 1993 to create the arts centre, the building was a derelict shell. Taigh Chearsabhagh now employs 14 members of staff, providing vital, non-seasonal work of quality in a fragile rural economy. Our shop and café, both of which overflow with visitors in the summer months, also offer an important focus and resource to North Uist’s community during the winter. In this way we help sustain the resilience and durability of our island’s social fabric.