The Art School was established in 1996 with the one-year NC Art and Design. Over time, driven by local demand and a growing interest from off-island students, a further course – the four-year BA (Hons) in Fine Art – was developed in partnership with the University of the Highlands & Islands, UHI Outer Hebrides.
The unique relationship between the Art School and Taigh Chearsabhagh Museum and Arts Centre is central to the learning and teaching environment. Students have the opportunity to engage first-hand with exhibitions, artist talks, and cultural events, and immerse themselves in a supportive inclusive creative ethos.
How does an art school in a rural, island location function successfully? Many of our students study in Uist precisely because of the particular environment the island has to offer. North Uist’s physical landscape and rich cultural heritage combine to offer a distinctive place in which to study, learn and develop a creative identity and confidence. Close links with partner UHI colleges provide a significant array of shared resources and expertise.
What our students say:
– Studying in North Uist has been a dream come true. The small class sizes here foster strong tutor-student relationships and the encouragement of peer learning has built confidence in myself and my creativity. The chance to study art, and on such a course that allows me to connect with the nature and culture of wild Scotland has been fantastically nourishing and one of the best decisions I ever made.
– I took a sabbatical from my job in Frankfurt to do this course. The college offers remarkable facilities and an excellent tutor-student ratio. In combination with the unique location, inspiring landscapes and the close contact with nature, I cannot think of a better place to do such a course.
– There are many benefits to studying here, from the small class sizes to the great studio spaces. I enjoyed studying my NC Art and Design so much that I intend to stay and do my BA Fine Art at Taigh Chearsabhagh.
– In this beautiful secluded location with the close contact with tutors and diverse curriculum, there’s no other place I would rather do an NC Art and Design. I have learnt about myself and the creative process in ways that I never would have expected.
– I am so fortunate to have this course on my door step – I have really enjoyed the ongoing experience.