Collections & Community Archive

Museums Galleries Scotland Member

North Uist or Uibhist a Tuath, in common with many other islands in the Outer Hebrides contains a rich palimpsest of visible history.  Ranging from the monumental Neolithic stone tomb of Barpa Langass to the surviving stone and thatch dwellings throughout the island it is obvious that the land has provided a home to many generations over the centuries.  Fragments of these past lives continue to be revealed by the relentless action of wind and tide on the fragile machair coastline of the west coast of North Uist.

Communities living on the island today work hard at protecting and preserving the cultural landscape and Gaelic language.  However, North Uist is not frozen in time and modern life provides a backdrop for social history captured through photographs, objects and stories associated with day-to-day life on the islands.

Comann Eachdraidh Uibhist a Tuath support a wide range of heritage activities and events at Taigh Chearsabhagh through imaginative interpretation of local culture and history.

The Collections held by Comann Eachdraidh Uibhist a Tuath comprise over 1000 artefacts that represent the heritage and culture of communities in North Uist. Comann Eachdraidh Uibhist a Tuath also own and part-operate the historic Grimsay built boat, Morning Star.

The Collections mainly date to the late 19th and 20th Centuries.  In addition Comann Eachdraidh Uibhist a Tuath hold a wide-ranging photographic collection of approximately 3500 prints and transparencies, mainly copies of the originals.  A recent addition to the Collection is the Runrig Archive of images and printed memorabilia charting the band’s history from their formation in North Uist in 1973 to the present day.


All enquiries can be made to:

[email protected]


In this Section